Working from home
Hello my lovely Sycamore Class! You have managed the first week. Well done!
It has been amazing to see the sorts of things you have been doing. Keep posting them. I'd love to see some of the learning projects you've started too. If you haven't posted yet, the instructions are at the bottom of this page, just remember to put your first names on them. I love getting your posts. It makes my day. We can inspire each other even if we are not together.
If you haven't been doing much exercise, check out PE with Joe on YouTube. Its a great daily exercise routine for everyone. My nephews have been doing it with my brother and loving it!
I have attached another maths pack at the bottom of the page all about geometry which is shapes, angles, coordinates. There are some bits you are asked to use a protractor. If you don't have one, just ignore those bits. There is more than enough without those bits. I have also attached the answers for your parents. Remember, if you copy the answers make sure you understand how they got those answers!
This is a good interactive game to play: https://nrich.maths.org/7511
You could have a go at creating your own game to play with your own family. How could you make it easier or harder? What rules would you make up? If you create a game, put it on the blog so we can all have a go at playing!
I wonder how your Land of Neverbelieve lands are coming? I wonder what grows in your land? What trees do you have? What crops do people like to eat? What flowers do you have? And what creatures are there in your land? What swims in the water and what flies in the sky? I'd love to see or hear some of your ideas.
For a slightly different fantasy land, check out this animation. https://www.literacyshed.com/eyeofthestorm.html There are some questions underneath it and some writing opportunities if it grabs your imagination.
Keep reading and going on mathletics and TT Rockstars. Let me know if you are having problems logging on. I am checking the websites and I can see that a lot of you are having a go. We need more help on TT Rockstars though. We have someone from our class who is number 20 in the school list, but we are being beaten by Year 3 and 4 children. We are also behind in our battle with Beech Class! We need to do something about this! Get playing!
Also, remember the Year 3/4 and Year 5/6 spellings are saved at the bottom of the page. It is a perfect opportunity to learn them!
Earth and Space
A few challenges and questions for this week:
- Explore some of the stars in our night sky. Can you keep a star diary and chart how they change positions over the next few weeks? Google Sky Map might be useful for this if the weather is cloudy.
- Can you find out if all stars are the same size as our sun? What else can you find out about stars? Are there different types? How long do they last?
- Can you find out why Mercury and Venus are often only seen in the early evening or just before sunrise?
I have saved an activity below which helps you think about our emotions and if we are in charge or our emotions. If nothing else, it is a good opportunity
A bit of mindfulness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFp5a8cL1Ow This is our mindfulness music for you to have some moments of relaxation.
Mindfulness colouring is a calming activity that can be used to help lower stress levels and improve overall well-being. Mindfulness is the process of keeping your attention and thoughts on the present moment and can help to improve mood, concentration, focus and well-being. Mindfulness colouring pages are a great way to reduce stress and allow the mind to focus on the present moment.
A few reminders
- Mathletics has been updated with activities which match what we are currently working on in class.
- Timestables Rock Stars can be completed daily. We have set up a competition across Key Stage 2 and we are against Year 6. You can earn points for our class by playing any game mode on TT Rockstars. The more you practice, the more points you will earn for your class! The competition will run until the end of the Easter holidays.
Please continue to read your reading book or another book daily if you can and record this in your yellow reading record. I have found that 'Hampshire Library Services' offer free ebooks and eAudiobooks which can be downloaded with a 'Hampshire Library Card'. I have downloaded a step by step guide which you will find at the bottom of this page to help you to download them. Please use this if you can as it is an excellent resource. https://www.hants.gov.uk/librariesandarchives/library
- You can also practise the Year 5 and 6 spelling words. The list is saved below.